Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Ms. Translation and the culture of un-truth

My bread and butter work, and avocation, is translating philosophical works. It is very steady work, and so I don’t have a business card. Since the 1980's when I learned some Latin at the University of San Francisco, I was aware that the version of the Novus Ordo Mass we said in English was grossly mistranslated in a tendentious way. Enough is written elsewhere about that. If I made such errors in translation, I would have fired myself. The mistranslations often eliminated scriptural references, minimized Catholic expressions of personal guilt, and replaced references to spiritual realities and entities with material realities. Fr. Joseph Fessio suggested to us students of Latin that we make a study of the "Collects" in Latin and English. The fact that the Church has taken half a century to fix up a few mistranslations is sign, it seems to me, that Church-men have become used to a culture of un-truth. The Catholic Church’s teachings have always had plenty of things that make people uneasy, such as the claim to exclusivity, and clear-cut sexual ethics. But those particular things have been kept out of view. I wonder about the procedure for becoming a Catholic. Are potential converts only told at the very last moment that the Catholic Church holds itself to be the exclusive and true Church founded by Christ?

No comments: