Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Barter System

As a sideline over the years, I have done many paintings, so many that I am tripping over them. Occasionally I have made a satisfying sale, put on shows, got written up in obscure magazines. I have enjoyed painting, especially at times when I “had too much time on my hands.” There were some paintings that took an entire month, a few hours a day. Now, although I have made good sales in the past, I am a busy person, busy with other things. I work reading and writing all day, and doing more “eye-work” has turned out to be too tiring.

I briefly marketed my creations on E-Bay, and I know from experience that it would be financially rewarding if I continued, but I just don’t have the time and inclination. It involves negotiation, correspondence, packaging, shipping. Lately, I posted some things on facebook, where I keep my number of friends to a minimum, and someone offered to barter. As it turns out, that person is an artist whom I respect, and she traded her own baked goods for a painting, with several more trades to come. Now, when an artist is dealing with people of ordinary income, they balk at spending. Suppose I spend a month doing a painting, and factor in the time spent at minimum wage, factor in materials, and other costs. It is unlikely that I will get that much money. But, if someone cuts trees, or does plaster work, or lays bricks, etc., a good trade seems much more likely. This will allow people to acquire my paintings even if the economy is in trouble, if they are out of work, etc.

I will mention also that when I barter a painting, I put it in my books as sold to a general customer, and at a reasonable price, and that is reported income. What the other party does is none of my concern. Just saying.

No comments: